Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that most people get in their teens or early twenties. Often, these third sets of molars are misaligned and require their removal. At Doctor Wisdom Teeth in San Tan Valley, we perform comfortable wisdom teeth extractions to make your mouth healthy and pain-free again.
Why Get Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
- Wisdom Teeth Are Impacted
When wisdom teeth come in abnormally, they can get trapped in the jawbone or gums. This condition can be painful, necessitating their removal.
- Wisdom Teeth Erupt at Wrong Angle
Sometimes the wisdom teeth emerge at the wrong angles, pressing other teeth out of alignment.
Some of us may have smaller mouths, and as a result, the jawbone may not have sufficient room for these surplus molars.
- Wisdom Teeth Have Decay or Gum Diseases
The cleaning of wisdom teeth may be challenging due to its difficult positioning in our mouth. Due to insufficient oral hygiene, we may develop cavities in the region, and having them removed will be beneficial.
What Problems Are Caused By Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom Teeth misalignment may cause problems that include:
- Extreme pain due to wisdom tooth getting trapped within the jawbone
- Tooth causes periodontal disorders of the gums
- Damage to adjacent teeth
- Orthodontic issues with jaw and tooth alignment
What Is the Extraction Procedure?
- Local sedatives or general anesthesia is given
- A precise incision is cut on the gum tissue
- The bone that obstructs access to the tooth root is removed
- The wisdom tooth is pulled out
- The area of the extracted tooth is cleaned
- The wound is sutured to promote healing
- Cotton gauze is placed over the extraction area to control bleeding and to help a blood clot form
What Happens After Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
The success of the wisdom tooth removal will depend on your ability and willingness to follow our post-op instructions. Pain that will be present after the operation can be addressed by taking painkillers.
You will notice a slight swelling and maybe minor bruising for the first few days, which is pretty standard. Initially, minor bleeding can be expected that will eventually subside. But if the bleeding continues even after a few days, contact us right away. You should eat soft foods while also avoiding carbonated beverages and alcohol. As long as you follow instructions, you should be back to normal in a couple of days after the procedure.
If you want to learn more about wisdom teeth extractions, visit our office, Doctor Wisdom Teeth at 287 E. Hunt Hwy #101SanTan Valley, AZ 85143. You can also reach dentist in San Tan Valley, AZ at (833) 3WISDOM.